Wednesday 8 December 2010

Double Page Spread Article

Double Page Spread Article

Inside the Asylum... The Story of Disturbed


Just in case you’ve been hiding under a rock somewhere for the last 10 years, Disturbed are the mind – blowing four piece heavy metal band, originating from Illinois, Chicago, USA. They have amazed the rock/metal scene since the creation of their debut album in the year 2000 – generating an amazing fan base, and becoming one of the most famous metal bands of recent years.
Now, on the release of their new album ‘Asylum’ we at Scream look back on Disturbed and their amazing career so far.
It all started in the October of 1995, when the band, who were originally called ‘Brawl’, hired David Draiman – now Disturbed’s legendary lead singer. During their earlier years with Draiman, the band changed their name to Disturbed – the name we all know and love.
Their renowned debut album ‘The Sickness’ was soon released - this amazing piece of musical art literally launched them at rocket speed into stardom, and even now is still widely considered as one of their best albums to date.
Their sequel album ‘Believe’ gained the already infamous band even more recognition as it made it to the American Billboard 200’s number one slot, as did their third and fourth album ‘Ten Thousand Fists’ (which made platinum record status) and ‘Indestructible’ – making the band one of only six rock bands to have 3 consecutive albums at number 1.
To add even more success to the story, ‘Inside the Fire’ the notorious hit track from their 2008 album ‘Indestructible’, gained the band their first Grammy nomination for Best Metal Act (2009) – an amazing accomplishment in their career.
Now, in 2010, we have seen the release of their fantastic new album ‘Asylum’ which is already a huge hit in the metal scene and has been described as being an ‘evolution’ in Disturbed’s music style, but only time will tell if it lives up to their last 3 masterpiece, number one albums.


That’s the story of the band, but what do their fans think of them? Which is their most successful album in their opinion? And what is it like to see these amazing legends live? All was revealed when I interviewed 6 fans of Disturbed, Katie, 22, Ross, 22, James, 21, Matt 22 and Helen, 21.

Me: So guys, tell me what it is about Disturbed’s music that you like so much?

Katie: I think it’s the sound of his voice, I find it really interesting!

Ross: ever since the start back in 2000 with their debut album the sickness I’ve loved the energy in their songs and they have a nice balance between easily accessible songs with anger and venom in them at the same time so there easy to listen to but u still get the adrenaline rush from the anger in them without having to be in certain mood.
James: I could answer every question with "They're awesome!" but I won't. 
 It's good metal music without sacrificing vocals to unintelligible shouting. 

Matt: In the beginning it was the wrongness of it and the slightly sick and twisted lyrical content. But nowadays it’s more of a nostalgic thing. I was way more into their older albums and songs than I am their newer work.

Fiona:  its upbeat, really good vocals that you can make out and awesome for the gym

Helen: Because it’s loud, shouty and good to mosh out to

Me: some interesting opinions there, have any of you ever been to a Disturbed gig? If so tell me about it.

James: David Draiman makes the whole thing worthwhile, mainly because he is slightly insane and insists on starting every gig being wheeled out in a straight jacket for no good reason but also because he's a great front man. He pumps up the crowd well but doesn't waste too much time doing it instead making a nice balance between chatting and actually playing songs. 
Katie: ooh, I haven't been to a Disturbed gig yet! (hopefully will soon though!!) I'd imagine that it would be rather violent - with lots of large over excited long haired men leaping around and headbanging!
Ross: I’ve never been to a disturbed gig but that will change in 8 days time :) and I’m expecting a mass of energy, pyrotechnics and showmanship.

Helen: Yes I've been to one of their gigs in Manchester, was awesome! They play a really good live show and the type of people that attended didn't ruin the experience (not to be too rude =P, but some gigs there are idiots bouncing all over the shop and then you end up losing a shoe!)
Matt: Never been to one. But I would expect it to be awesome, and my neck to be killing the morning after.

Me: Aah James & Helen, it sounds amazing, I can’t wait to see them for myself in December! So, what is your favourite Disturbed song and why?

Katie: My favourite song is 'Prayer' - I think because of the variations in the styles of vocals, and the lyrics.

Helen: There's a few I really like, Liberate is good, guess because it's got an awesome beat and the lyrics are good.

Ross: don't know there so many to chose but off the top of my head I will go for Divide off the album indestructible because it’s one of their heaviest with a kick ass riff lots of energy and anger mangled up in 3 and a half mins which catches the essence of disturbed in 1 song.

James: Either Down with the Sickness as it's the first song I ever heard. Or Ten Thousand Fists because it just makes you want to rock out
Matt:  I think Shout 2000 is bloody amazing, being a Tears for Fears fan too. But Down with the Sickness is a close second; it's a classic and gets everyone moshing.

Me: Awesome, so how would you describe Disturbed?

Helen:  Defined hard rock/metal, never really heard another band like them - if this makes sense!

Katie: "Metal-y" and 'Good!' (probably not very useful but I'm not very good at describing music!) fun to dance to!!
Ross: I would describe them as a good old fashioned heavy metal/ hard rock band but could also be used as a great transitional band if you were looking at getting into the really heavy music they would be a good place to start.

James: Just plain awesome?

Matt: Nu-metal, or perhaps just heavy metal or hard rock these days. Dark, alternative metal, melodic...awesome!

Me: [Laughs] Brilliant! And for my final question, what is your favourite Disturbed album and why?

Katie: I don’t really have a favourite album, Disturbed are one of those bands, even though I really like them, I've never really sat down and listened to a whole album! Just random songs in playlists and heard them when out!

Ross: This is simple it would have to be Asylum for me arguably maybe not their best but it’s an album and mental and emotional illness that I can really relate to and put on when I need some inner strength.

James: Ten Thousand Fists; partly because my favourite song is on it, and partly because it has a good mix of heavy songs, more "pop-y" (Land of Confusion/Sons of Plunder) stuff and also slower ballardy type songs.

Helen: Ten Thousand Fists, because this has the best collection of songs.

Matt: The Sickness. Because it's the first album of theirs I ever listened to at a time when metal was becoming my favourite genre of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment